The study was conducted with an optical sensor from the Finnish company SATRON Instruments, for the improvement and optimization of resources associated with the maturation / pasteurization line, complementing the existing control by conductivity.
The results obtained extrapolated to one year were the following:
Savings of more than:
- 744 m3 of water
- 2,868 liters of ice cream mix
- 62 hours
The amortization of the sensor, only based on the cost of ice cream mix, was 6 days.
DETAILS OF THE PROCESS:
- Pasteurization phase: The ice cream mix is conducted to the pasteurizer, using a centrifugal pump, to reduce the presence of pathogens (such as certain bacteria, protozoa, molds, yeasts, etc.) that it may contain. Later it is accumulated in a tank for the maturation process.
- Maturation phase: It consists of leaving the ice cream mixture in a cold place, between 2ºC and 5ºC, during a certain time so that it rests and some ingredients are hydrated. Slow agitation should be applied at intervals, so that the solids that are in suspension do not precipitate. You can not have more than 72 hours. It can be done in the same pasteurizer, or in a maturing tub.
- Transport phase: After the necessary time the mix is conducted to the different process lines such as the chilling or packaging. The mix thrusts are made with water.
- End of the cycle: Immediately after finishing the production cycle, it is rinsed with water, since, otherwise, the milk residues dry and stick to the surfaces quickly, which makes it more difficult to clean. Next, a wash is made with an alkaline solution and a final rinse. This is done with drinking water for a sufficient time to eliminate any traces of NaOH, since otherwise the milk processed later could be contaminated. The correct operation of this phase is essential for the product to meet the necessary hygienic characteristics.
Characteristics of the optical sensor used:
- Measurement by light scattering.
- Measuring range: 0-1,000 up to 5,000 NTU or FNU
- Accuracy: 0.1% of the calibrated range
- Integrated temperature measurement.
- Temperature measurement of the electronics.
- Simple calibration (from 2 to 16 points).
- Analysis damping: from every 60 “to 100 seconds
- Memorisable up to 4 calibrations. Allows remote calibration change (relay contact).
- Output: 2 output 4-20mA (turbidity + temperature) + HART.
- EHEDG and 3A certificate
- Phase separation
- Discharge to a water treatment plant
- Control in exchangers
- Milk fat monitoring
- Color control
For more information contact MATELCO, S.A tel. 220.127.116.113, or email us from the contact section.